Monday 14 March 2011

Existential Crisis

The eternal debate. Tea or Coffee. Do I stay true to my British roots and enjoy a comforting cuppa, or do I take a leaf (or granule) from my American and European cousins and choose a hot shot of Java?

The Boyfriend has only ever had filter coffee from a cafetiere in his life since his parents (unusually for misguided English people) never had instant coffee in the house. Quite drastically different to my only experience, which was from an early age was that coffee was a disgusting bitter and salty drink only grown-ups drank. This I assume was only because my parents, well my Dad really, bought cheap instant freeze dried stuff from the supermarket. My Mum has the same anxiety issues I have, and cut caffeine out of her diet about 10 years ago, I didnt follow suit as I had no problems at the time, but it added another reason for me to avoid it.

Make no bones about it, tea is an institution in Great Britain. Its the first thing we drink in the morning to wake us up. Its the first thing we do when we get in and sit on the sofa. Its a social drink (I just made 8 cups of it at my Grans when I went round to drop her birthday presents.),  it's comforting, and it feels like home. I've always been tea girl. Strong, plenty of milk and no sugar. And I never thought my allegiance would waver. That is until I felt sorry the boyfriend drinking the salty bitter crap I'd bought from Lidl because it was £1.79 for a massive jar.

Sainsbury's cafe yesterday had bags of filter coffee on special for 50p so I bought one and then realised it would be useless without buying a cafetiere to prep it in. I bought that one above from Sainsbury's and eneded up pissed off at it being shockingly over priced at £6.50 even though it was the cheapest.

Up to now, I think coffee tastes shit, instigates panic attacks and leaves me out of pocket. So why do I persist with it? I'm not really sure, I guess I always thought it was one of those tastes that I would develop as my palete matured like red wine or olives, but it never did. I can definately taste the difference between instant and filter coffee and definately prefer the latter (with 3 sugars) but I still have a sneaky feeling I might be kidding myself. But I won't give up. Never!

No comments:

Post a Comment